Open Design is a headless design tool that can be used to work with design files. With it, you can:
- Open design files from Figma, Sketch, Adobe XD, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Illustrator
- Read design data of the whole file or individual layers
- Generate images of layers, artboards, and pages
- Convert a design file to a different format
- Embed an interactive design viewer in your application (coming soon)
- Create and edit designs (coming soon)
- Node.js 12 or later
- IDE of your choice
Get your API token
To get started, use this form to get your API token:
so you should keep it secure, as you would a password.
Install the SDK
The Open Design SDK is available as a package on NPM for use with a module bundler or in a Node.js application.
Try a basic example (Node.js)
In this example we open a design file and render all artboards to an image. In your project, save the following code as a file called
Then run it:
Once it completes, open up your project directory and check out the PNG files that were created. Neat!
Was this article helpful?